Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream Frosting

1

Warning: Contains nuts

I love being in the kitchen. Whether it’s staring at the ridiculous amount of food on my shelves or actual cooking and baking, the kitchen has always proven to be a place of comfort for me. There are particular moments when I get “cooking itches.” These itches tend to appear when I’m procrastinating… or when I’m in search of comfort food. One of my favourite recipes is one for peanut butter cupcakes with Nutella buttercream frosting—a sweet treat, but not entirely unhealthy for you. Made with whole wheat flour and crunchy, wholesome peanut butter, I think my love for these cupcakes is entirely justified!

Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Ingredients:

½ cup crunchy peanut butter

1 cup light brown sugar

1/3 cup butter

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups whole wheat flour

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

¾ cup milk of choice (whole, skim, soy, etc.)

Preheat your oven to 175ºC. In a large mixing bowl, mix the peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

In another bowl, mix the other dry ingredients together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix; when adding to the wet ingredients, alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the milk. Mix the batter until smooth.

Pour the batter into muffin tins and bake. Regular sized cupcakes should take 20 minutes, while smaller cupcakes should take 10 minutes. While the cupcakes are baking, make the Nutella buttercream.

Nutella Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients:

½ cup room temperate butter

1 cup nutella

1 cup powdered/icing sugar

1 tablespoon milk

First, cream the butter. Slowly beat in the Nutella, and add the sugar in small portions until well blended. Add the milk. If the end result isn’t your desired consistency or taste, continue to add the ingredients until you have your perfect frosting.