A £55,000 project is about to get underway in an attempt to restore the Castle Sands cliff-side. It has been one year since the appearance of warning signs and fencing at the top of the stairs leading down to Castle Sands. These precautionary measures, taken by the Fife Council following two significant landslides in 2008 and, more recently, in 2011, may no longer interrupt the otherwise placid beach landscape come May.

Having sought the consultation of Sara Wilson, a Fife Council technician engineer, in addition to geotechnical consultants, Fife Council is expecting work to start in late April and carry on for four weeks. Wilson told The Courier that most of the project will involve rock anchoring and embankment stabilization in order to assure the structural integrity of not only the cliff-side, but the East Scores carriageway as well.

Questions about the safety of Castle Sands were raised initially in 2008 when a substantial amount of grass and soil slid from the cliff-side, resulting in the beach’s closure and later reopening. The second slide in 2011, reportedly a result of heavy rain, has further complicated the issue of Castle Sands as a pedestrian-friendly beach.

Photo: Jake ThreadgouldThe original site of the May Dip, Castle Sands had to be abandoned as the venue for the annual university tradition last year with the location changing to the more accommodating East Sands. With construction yet to begin and safety yet to be assured, the future of Castle Sands remains uncertain.