Women’s Hockey: 3rds win promotion with big victory

1
Photo: Axel Wallin

On Wednesday the Women’s 3rd XI took on Queen Margaret 2nds, the then league leaders, needing three points to secure BUCS league promotion over them.

With this in mind the nerves were running high in the Saints team. However the game started at a quick pace, with the St Andrews girls playing at a high tempo.

This initial early pressure soon resulted in a goal, with some great play down the wing by striker Sarah Wilson playing to captain Jo Scouler to smash home the first goal from close range.

With the lead secured relief flooded through the players; unfortunately this led to the girls taking their foot off the gas, and it required some solid defending to keep in front as QMU started to fight their way into the game.

The rest of the half was characterized by scrappy play as the girls struggled to take control of the game. After winning a series of short corners QMU managed to pull a goal back, and the sides went into half time at 1-1.

The second half began with the Saints knowing they had to improve, and the inclusion of Rosie Bond, who had arrived late having already played lacrosse that morning, helped turn the tide.

The improvement in the second half was huge, and St Andrews began to pull the QMU team apart. Excellent running by Crisi Evans continually stretched the opposition, and created the space our attacking midfield needed, allowing the goals to start flowing.

Rosie Bond fed two stunning passes through to Sarah Wilson in behind the opposition defense that she converted, and as confidence grew the result became more certain. Strong dribbling from Fiona Dutton and Annie Armstrong further increased the lead as Annie picked out the bottom corner with a powerful shot from the top of the circle.

At 4-1 the visitors attempted to get back into the game, but some excellent defending from Gilly Croll and Alice Black, and a top-class save from Katie McCay at a QMU short corner kept the comfortable lead intact.

As the game moved towards the end the superior fitness of the St Andrews girls showed, with Annie Armstrong grabbing a second, and then Captain Scouler slotting home a sixth with only a few minutes left on the clock.

A comfortable win, and league victory, for the 3rd XI who showed that when they play as well as they can, they are a force to be reckoned with. It was a well deserved victory from a side who have demonstrated their ability, and improvement, over the season.

Final score 6-1, with a man of the match performance from 1st year Rosie Bond.