Wind power debate

7

Today, Thursday 1 March, an event crucial to the future of St Andrews will be taking place. Illustrious speakers will be arriving in St Andrews to hold a public debate. The topic is wind power for St Andrews and those debating the issue are at odds with whether its future effects on the town will be healthy or not.
Originally, the call for wind turbines was seen as an answer to steadily rising energy costs that were a result of high fossil fuel consumption. This certainly seemed true after noticing that, since 2005, energy prices have risen on average by 15% every year. Hoping to meet its carbon reduction targets, as well as generate enough energy to continue teaching, the University strongly stands behind this idea. However, there have arisen critical oppositions from other members of the town.
Among these complaints, the owner of the Old Course Hotel believes that the wind farms will actually have the opposite economic effect upon the town.  Much of this opposition is linked to other, similar scenarios around Scotland; for example, Donald Trump’s own disdain for wind turbines was revealed when he pronounced that their ugliness would ruin the beauty of the Scottish coastlines that his new golf resort was being built upon.  To those in opposition, such a point would mirror their own worries of falling tourism if the projects were to be approved.
The effects of today’s debate are sure to be felt not only in St Andrews, but throughout Scotland.  The debate, free and open to all, is not one to miss.  Cameron Community Council, the debate’s organiser, has planned it so that those in attendance can obtain a clearer idea of the issue.
A spokesman for the council had this to say: “Wind Power is a relatively new phenomenon in Fife and many local communities are struggling to understand what it means to them. As a community council, it’s our job to make sure our communities have accurate information about the wind farms and turbines we are being asked to live with.”
In order to do this, the council has asked leading members on the issue to the event. Such names as John Mayhew, the Director of the Association for the Protection of Rural Scotland, and Struan Stevenson, Scotland’s chairman on the European Parliament’s Climate Change, Biodiversity & Sustainable Development Intergroup, will be attending.
It will be a collision of natural beauty and economic benefits; a dispute between images of the past and an indecisive future. Will Fife be made an essential part of the government’s plans to make Scotland the “Saudi Arabia of wind,” or will it be proven that the points supporting wind power are actually ignorant claims hiding what really are, as the association Views of Scotland disputes them to be, “seriously flawed scientific, economic, and political perspectives”?

This debate is being held tonight in St Andrews Town Hall, where Queen’s Street meets South Street, at 7:15pm.

1. A well thought out and balanced piece. Thank you. There is need for sensible discussion by all parties and it is to be hoped that the various factions will be courteous enough to listen to each others’ views and then to come to a reasoned decision.

2. If the windmill scheme is such a good bet then why don’t those in favour invest their own money then they could pocket the profits ?

It’s always fun to bet with other people’s money. Even the Darien scheme looked good beforehand…

3. Are you disillusioned by rising electricity prices, over dependence on the “green” dream [especially uneconomical and inefficient wind farms] and the destruction of our countryside then please register your objection to the Government on

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22958

or by GOOGLING “E-PETITION 22958” and following the link.

Please pass this message on to Councillors, members of your community and anyone else you know to persuade them to sign up too. If you are really concerned about wind turbines please write a letter promoting this petition to your local Newsletter and to the Editors of your local newspapers.

4. Excellent article.
    We are coming from Loch Lomond for tonight’s debate. We held a similar evening at the beginning of the year, without the added boost of Donald Trump’s advisors in attendance. Three speakers, including Struan Stevenson, all commented on the phycology involved in the wind power debate, basically we have all been led up the garden path with ‘green’ claims. When properly analysed, wind turbines are anything but CO2 saving; they do not create jobs(not in the UK anyway) and they are not the answer to our energy generational needs as they are intermittant ,expensive, thus making the UK an un competative place to manufacture.
    For Professors of Engineering from Cambridge, Strathclyde, and other Universities to be be able to prove that this is the case and be ignored seems unbelievable.
    This is an industry driven policy, with little engineering strategy involved, that must be halted.
    Looking forward to tonight.

5. Having held a similar evening a in January of this year, with three speakers including Struan Stevenson, it was interesting to hear all three touch on the pschology of the wind turbine debate. Basically , we have all been led up the garden path. This is an industry driven policy with little engineering stragegy involved.
    Professor Kelly, Cambridge ‘prematue technology deployment is throughly bad engineering, and my taxes are subsidising it against my will and professional judgment’
    Professor MacLeod of Strathclyde feels the same.
    These eminent engineers voices must be heard.
    A sound , efficient and affordable energy supply is what the UK requires to be competative. Energy prices have come down in the US as the Shale gas comes through.
    Looking forward to tonight, we are coming from the Bonnie Banks where there are also threats of turbines.

6. What an informative piece. Obviously, then, there are students at St Andrews who are prepared to recognise that they should go to the meeting with an open mind, as befits their status