Slick Saints strengthen promotion push

0

LACROSSE

St Andrews 1sts        15

Aberdeen 1sts            2

St Andrews Lacrosse 1sts continued their apparently relentless march towards the BUCS Scottish 1A title and potential promotion to the British Premier division with a comfortable home win over Aberdeen.

The visitors did show some ambition, as reflected in the two goals they scored, but were largely indebted to their goalkeeper, who made several excellent saves to keep the scoreline respectable.

She was busy from the off, as Saints seemed able to attack at will and their transitions and movement in attacking areas led to five unanswered goals to pretty much end the game as a contest within the first quarter.

Aberdeen did get a grip on the game after their hit-and-hope tactics earlier in the match and got themselves a somewhat fortunate goal. However, the home side answered back through their captain, Caroline Lubbock, to end the quarter leading 6-1.

The away side clearly roused themselves during the interval, as the second period was far more even and Aberdeen had a goal disallowed. Having survived that, Saints went right up the other end and extended their lead to six.

The visiting keeper continued to make several fine blocks, but she was beaten again for 8-1, before Saints scored the best-worked goal of the match.

Throughout the game the Saints ball-carrier had so many options and this was just one example of that: a well-worked move down the Aberdeen left flank set the platform for Club President Natasha Seel to score with a nifty finish.

Come the third quarter, Aberdeen – 9-1 down – seemed determined to keep more possession, to limit the damage being inflicted on them. They did that relatively well, but it was the hosts who remained more dangerous with the ball and eventually opened the scoring in the quarter to reach 10 goals, before a quick break from the back made the score 11-1.

Clearly the visiting side’s spirit was close to breaking point, and it got worse for them as the final quarter began with two rapid goals for the hosts.

After a break in play (after one Aberdeen defender was on target with hitting a Saints attacker on the nose with her lacrosse stick) Lubbock ran through to score and bring the score to 14-1.

Aberdeen’s refusal to be totally overwhelmed rewarded them with a late consolation goal, but it was not the last goal of the match. With 30 seconds left on the clock, Saints finished the scoring to complete a 15-2 win.

Saints were largely dominant and, although Aberdeen showed some sparks of enterprise, were hardly flattered by the final score.

With an away game against second-placed Edinburgh 2nds followed by a home fixture with Glasgow 1sts, Saints look well-placed to win the league for the second consecutive year, which they will achieve with one win from those last two matches.