Breaking News: Kate Kennedy Club votes to admit women

March 22, 2012 4:30 pm 4 comments

At 14:59pm today The Saint received the following statement from the Kate Kennedy Club.

The following statement is issued by the President, Committee and Members of the Kate Kennedy Club:

At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Kate Kennedy Club on Monday 19th March 2012 a formal motion was proposed to allow all first year students, regardless of gender, to apply for membership to the Kate Kennedy Club. The motion was duly passed. The Kate Kennedy Club, therefore, looks forward to receiving applications from any first year student in the Candlemas Semester of the next academic year (2012/2013).

The Kate Kennedy Procession remains at the heart of the Kate Kennedy Club and is its founding mandate. The Club looks forward – with the support of the Kate Kennedy Trust, Procession Committee and University – to ensuring that the Procession will continue for the enjoyment of all and for the furtherance of good relationships between the Town and Gown. The Club would like to reiterate that the Procession, the Gaudie and all other traditions, which the Club has worked to maintain and promote, continue to be open to participation from the St Andrews community, both Town and Gown alike.

We look forward to welcoming you all to the Kate Kennedy Procession on Saturday 14th April commencing at 2pm.

University Principal and Vice Chancellor Professor Louise Richardon then released the following statement:

I am delighted to welcome the decision by the Kate Kennedy Club to open its membership to female students.

The annual Kate Kennedy Procession is an important event for the local community and we look forward to seeing the involvement of our entire community in this year’s event.

This has been a tough few weeks for many in our study body. I appreciate how difficult it must have been for the current membership of the club to arrive at this decision in light of the weight of history they have felt.  I very much hope that our students can now come together in celebrating the wonderful and unique traditions of this great university.
As we look forward to our seventh century of academic exploration, it is entirely appropriate that we are united as an open and inclusive community of students and scholars.

Association President Patrick O’Hare released the following statement:

“I would like to commend the Kate Kennedy Club on their decision to admit female students. I was sure that it would make adecision right and proper for the 21st century.

It is a sign of maturity that the Club has risen above any unease that they felt about the past few weeks and have moved swiftly to amend their membership policy. It must have been a very difficult decision to make and I hope that we can now move to heal any rifts that had opened up in the university community over the affair. The SRC looks forward to playing a constructive role in the weeks and months to come.

Clearly a cancellation of this year’s procession was the last thing anyone desired, so I’m now confident that this year’s procession can be the most inclusive ever. In the context of our 600th anniversary, we look to the past but also look to the future and must make sure that the there is a place for everyone at the University and in the celebration of its traditions.”

4 comments

• So the Principal has already ditched the failing Kate Kennedy Fellowship? Classy. Remarkable for her to claim to celebrate the procession when she singlehandedly attempted to destroy it…

• Very wet. But at least that group of tree-hugging leftists in the Union won’t get hold of the Procession.

• Andy Westbank

Hey is it still too late for met to joing that awesome sounding Fellowship that the principal set up?

• David Andren

I became a Life Member of the Kate Kennedy Club in, I think, 1961 and am a former President of the SRC. I am also a past Chairman of the St Andrews University London CLub.

I have been very disturbed by the bad press the University has been receiving as a result of this argument between the KK Club and the KK fellowship.

I am delighted this issue has now been resolved. Up to now I have been reluctant to make any donations to the Association but if now approached will do so and be happy to encourage other alumni to do the same.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Review: Bridget Jones’s Baby

Review: Bridget Jones’s Baby

Rarely had the New Palace Cinema been so packed last week than at Bridget Jones’s Baby. Needless to say there was a vast female majority in attendance – the abashed baritone chuckles of the four or five middle-aged Fife males and myself utterly drowned out by the unashamedly shrill giggling of...

Read more →
  • An appraisal of the English Football League

An appraisal of the English Football League

Wolves players celebrate in front of a packed Molineux The Premier League is undoubtedly the world’s most popular football league. Every weekend during the season millions from around the world tune in to watch matches, generating billions of pounds in television revenue for the clubs. It has some...

Read more →
  • Battle of the Bake Off presenters

Battle of the Bake Off presenters

Monday 12 September 2016 is a day that will go down in history as perhaps the worst thing to happen to the British, or certainly British TV, since The Jeremy Kyle Show hit our screens in 2005. Men and women, young and old, socialist and conservative, we stand united in one thing alone: The Great British...

Read more →
  • Thrifting in the Bubble begins

Thrifting in the Bubble begins

Amidst the hullabaloo of Freshers’ Week: sports give-it-a-gos, society intro meetings, and moving in and settling down to a new year at university, Judy’s Affordable Vintage Fair hosted their first St Andrews Affordable Vintage Fair of the year on Sunday 18 September. The pop up fair was received...

Read more →
  • Autumn style essentials

Autumn style essentials

The season of pumpkin spice lattes and cosy oversized sweaters has finally fallen upon us. Summer has bid farewell and the chillier weather is reminding us that autumn is back in town. Many of us are probably already trying to alter our summer wardrobe to suit the upcoming colder and rainier weather...

Read more →