Breaking News: Kate Kennedy Club votes to admit women

March 22, 2012 4:30 pm 4 comments

At 14:59pm today The Saint received the following statement from the Kate Kennedy Club.

The following statement is issued by the President, Committee and Members of the Kate Kennedy Club:

At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Kate Kennedy Club on Monday 19th March 2012 a formal motion was proposed to allow all first year students, regardless of gender, to apply for membership to the Kate Kennedy Club. The motion was duly passed. The Kate Kennedy Club, therefore, looks forward to receiving applications from any first year student in the Candlemas Semester of the next academic year (2012/2013).

The Kate Kennedy Procession remains at the heart of the Kate Kennedy Club and is its founding mandate. The Club looks forward – with the support of the Kate Kennedy Trust, Procession Committee and University – to ensuring that the Procession will continue for the enjoyment of all and for the furtherance of good relationships between the Town and Gown. The Club would like to reiterate that the Procession, the Gaudie and all other traditions, which the Club has worked to maintain and promote, continue to be open to participation from the St Andrews community, both Town and Gown alike.

We look forward to welcoming you all to the Kate Kennedy Procession on Saturday 14th April commencing at 2pm.

University Principal and Vice Chancellor Professor Louise Richardon then released the following statement:

I am delighted to welcome the decision by the Kate Kennedy Club to open its membership to female students.

The annual Kate Kennedy Procession is an important event for the local community and we look forward to seeing the involvement of our entire community in this year’s event.

This has been a tough few weeks for many in our study body. I appreciate how difficult it must have been for the current membership of the club to arrive at this decision in light of the weight of history they have felt.  I very much hope that our students can now come together in celebrating the wonderful and unique traditions of this great university.
As we look forward to our seventh century of academic exploration, it is entirely appropriate that we are united as an open and inclusive community of students and scholars.

Association President Patrick O’Hare released the following statement:

“I would like to commend the Kate Kennedy Club on their decision to admit female students. I was sure that it would make adecision right and proper for the 21st century.

It is a sign of maturity that the Club has risen above any unease that they felt about the past few weeks and have moved swiftly to amend their membership policy. It must have been a very difficult decision to make and I hope that we can now move to heal any rifts that had opened up in the university community over the affair. The SRC looks forward to playing a constructive role in the weeks and months to come.

Clearly a cancellation of this year’s procession was the last thing anyone desired, so I’m now confident that this year’s procession can be the most inclusive ever. In the context of our 600th anniversary, we look to the past but also look to the future and must make sure that the there is a place for everyone at the University and in the celebration of its traditions.”

4 comments

• So the Principal has already ditched the failing Kate Kennedy Fellowship? Classy. Remarkable for her to claim to celebrate the procession when she singlehandedly attempted to destroy it…

• Very wet. But at least that group of tree-hugging leftists in the Union won’t get hold of the Procession.

• Andy Westbank

Hey is it still too late for met to joing that awesome sounding Fellowship that the principal set up?

• David Andren

I became a Life Member of the Kate Kennedy Club in, I think, 1961 and am a former President of the SRC. I am also a past Chairman of the St Andrews University London CLub.

I have been very disturbed by the bad press the University has been receiving as a result of this argument between the KK Club and the KK fellowship.

I am delighted this issue has now been resolved. Up to now I have been reluctant to make any donations to the Association but if now approached will do so and be happy to encourage other alumni to do the same.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Inspirations at the Commonwealth

Inspirations at the Commonwealth

Today I haven’t been watching the Commonwealth Games. Not great, admittedly, for someone who is supposedly writing about the whole affair. I have instead been engaging with the sporting world in a different way; I have been embracing “The spirit of the games”. How the organisers of these games...

Read more →
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2 review

How to Train Your Dragon 2 review

How to Train Your Dragon 2 follows in the steps of the witty and occasionally dazzling 2010 instalment, catching up with weedy protagonist Hiccup (Jay Baruchel) as he perches precipitously between aerial exploration and adulthood. In this chapter, Hiccup’s quest to discover his inner identity leads...

Read more →
  • An opening ceremony to be loved

An opening ceremony to be loved

The Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony was the best thing I’ve watched on TV all summer. Ok, I understand that this event would perhaps not be everyone’s summer 2014 audiovisual highlight. And yet, despite stiff competition from football matches in Brazil and several episodes of Orange Is...

Read more →
  • West Sands has become health risk because of campervans, says councillor

West Sands has become health risk because of campervans, says councillor

Photo credit: Henry Legg Famed for its sprawling sand dunes, the two mile long expanse of West Sands that stretches out alongside the St Andrews Links is the last place you would expect to pose a health risk because of overcrowding. But a Fife councillor has complained that the free parking, summer weather...

Read more →
  • EIFF presents: Tony Benn: Will and Testament

EIFF presents: Tony Benn: Will and Testament

Tony Benn: Will and Testament is an intimate look at the life of British socialist, anti-war campaigner, husband, and father, Tony Benn, once called the ‘most dangerous man in Britain.’ The film received its world premiere at the Edinburgh International Film Festival with its premiere selling out...

Read more →