Breaking News: Kate Kennedy Club votes to admit women

March 22, 2012 4:30 pm 4 comments

At 14:59pm today The Saint received the following statement from the Kate Kennedy Club.

The following statement is issued by the President, Committee and Members of the Kate Kennedy Club:

At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Kate Kennedy Club on Monday 19th March 2012 a formal motion was proposed to allow all first year students, regardless of gender, to apply for membership to the Kate Kennedy Club. The motion was duly passed. The Kate Kennedy Club, therefore, looks forward to receiving applications from any first year student in the Candlemas Semester of the next academic year (2012/2013).

The Kate Kennedy Procession remains at the heart of the Kate Kennedy Club and is its founding mandate. The Club looks forward – with the support of the Kate Kennedy Trust, Procession Committee and University – to ensuring that the Procession will continue for the enjoyment of all and for the furtherance of good relationships between the Town and Gown. The Club would like to reiterate that the Procession, the Gaudie and all other traditions, which the Club has worked to maintain and promote, continue to be open to participation from the St Andrews community, both Town and Gown alike.

We look forward to welcoming you all to the Kate Kennedy Procession on Saturday 14th April commencing at 2pm.

University Principal and Vice Chancellor Professor Louise Richardon then released the following statement:

I am delighted to welcome the decision by the Kate Kennedy Club to open its membership to female students.

The annual Kate Kennedy Procession is an important event for the local community and we look forward to seeing the involvement of our entire community in this year’s event.

This has been a tough few weeks for many in our study body. I appreciate how difficult it must have been for the current membership of the club to arrive at this decision in light of the weight of history they have felt.  I very much hope that our students can now come together in celebrating the wonderful and unique traditions of this great university.
As we look forward to our seventh century of academic exploration, it is entirely appropriate that we are united as an open and inclusive community of students and scholars.

Association President Patrick O’Hare released the following statement:

“I would like to commend the Kate Kennedy Club on their decision to admit female students. I was sure that it would make adecision right and proper for the 21st century.

It is a sign of maturity that the Club has risen above any unease that they felt about the past few weeks and have moved swiftly to amend their membership policy. It must have been a very difficult decision to make and I hope that we can now move to heal any rifts that had opened up in the university community over the affair. The SRC looks forward to playing a constructive role in the weeks and months to come.

Clearly a cancellation of this year’s procession was the last thing anyone desired, so I’m now confident that this year’s procession can be the most inclusive ever. In the context of our 600th anniversary, we look to the past but also look to the future and must make sure that the there is a place for everyone at the University and in the celebration of its traditions.”

4 comments

• So the Principal has already ditched the failing Kate Kennedy Fellowship? Classy. Remarkable for her to claim to celebrate the procession when she singlehandedly attempted to destroy it…

• Very wet. But at least that group of tree-hugging leftists in the Union won’t get hold of the Procession.

• Andy Westbank

Hey is it still too late for met to joing that awesome sounding Fellowship that the principal set up?

• David Andren

I became a Life Member of the Kate Kennedy Club in, I think, 1961 and am a former President of the SRC. I am also a past Chairman of the St Andrews University London CLub.

I have been very disturbed by the bad press the University has been receiving as a result of this argument between the KK Club and the KK fellowship.

I am delighted this issue has now been resolved. Up to now I have been reluctant to make any donations to the Association but if now approached will do so and be happy to encourage other alumni to do the same.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• After The Open has closed: summer in St Andrews

After The Open has closed: summer in St Andrews

The view from above.Photo: Wikimedia Commons Walking down the Scores in the aftermath of The Open is eerily tranquil, save for the familiar seagull cries. The only remaining evidence it had taken place at all are the skeletons of the grandstands, which are surrounded by a sea of heaped scaffolding and...

Read more →
  • The Open 2015: Amateurs, antics and anticlimax

The Open 2015: Amateurs, antics and anticlimax

Five years ago, on a calm day on the links at St Andrews, a horde of competitors made the Old Course look like a pitch and putt. With rounds including Rory McIlroy’s nine-under-par 63, Tom Watson commented that “the Old Lady had no clothes on.” The second day, however, this same Old Lady “put...

Read more →
  • American TV worker fined for taking cocaine in Vic toilets

American TV worker fined for taking cocaine in Vic toilets

An American TV engineer who was working in St Andrews for The Open has been fined £500 for taking cocaine in the toilets at The Vic. Max Muehlen, 32, was caught by staff on 12 July at about 8pm after they heard snorting noises coming from one of the toilet cubicles. They demanded that the door to the...

Read more →
  • Open for the Open: the economic benefit of Europe’s largest golf tournament

Open for the Open: the economic benefit of Europe’s largest golf tournament

Photo credit: Danielle Golds This week the town is playing host to a plethora of golfing professionals and enthusiasts for the 144th Open championship. Local businesses have seen a sharp jolt in customer numbers, catering to an estimated 750,000 visitors. Golf tourism has always been a boon to local...

Read more →
  • Former St Andrews student sentenced to three years in prison for attempted poisoning

Former St Andrews student sentenced to three years in prison for attempted poisoning

Alexander Hilton, a former student at the University, has been sentenced to three years in prison for attempting to poison fellow student Robert Forbes. Mr Hilton, now 24, mixed a bottle of red wine with methanol, a substance used in paint and anti-freeze, and encouraged fellow US national Mr Forbes...

Read more →