Breaking News: Kate Kennedy Club votes to admit women

March 22, 2012 4:30 pm 4 comments

At 14:59pm today The Saint received the following statement from the Kate Kennedy Club.

The following statement is issued by the President, Committee and Members of the Kate Kennedy Club:

At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Kate Kennedy Club on Monday 19th March 2012 a formal motion was proposed to allow all first year students, regardless of gender, to apply for membership to the Kate Kennedy Club. The motion was duly passed. The Kate Kennedy Club, therefore, looks forward to receiving applications from any first year student in the Candlemas Semester of the next academic year (2012/2013).

The Kate Kennedy Procession remains at the heart of the Kate Kennedy Club and is its founding mandate. The Club looks forward – with the support of the Kate Kennedy Trust, Procession Committee and University – to ensuring that the Procession will continue for the enjoyment of all and for the furtherance of good relationships between the Town and Gown. The Club would like to reiterate that the Procession, the Gaudie and all other traditions, which the Club has worked to maintain and promote, continue to be open to participation from the St Andrews community, both Town and Gown alike.

We look forward to welcoming you all to the Kate Kennedy Procession on Saturday 14th April commencing at 2pm.

University Principal and Vice Chancellor Professor Louise Richardon then released the following statement:

I am delighted to welcome the decision by the Kate Kennedy Club to open its membership to female students.

The annual Kate Kennedy Procession is an important event for the local community and we look forward to seeing the involvement of our entire community in this year’s event.

This has been a tough few weeks for many in our study body. I appreciate how difficult it must have been for the current membership of the club to arrive at this decision in light of the weight of history they have felt.  I very much hope that our students can now come together in celebrating the wonderful and unique traditions of this great university.
As we look forward to our seventh century of academic exploration, it is entirely appropriate that we are united as an open and inclusive community of students and scholars.

Association President Patrick O’Hare released the following statement:

“I would like to commend the Kate Kennedy Club on their decision to admit female students. I was sure that it would make adecision right and proper for the 21st century.

It is a sign of maturity that the Club has risen above any unease that they felt about the past few weeks and have moved swiftly to amend their membership policy. It must have been a very difficult decision to make and I hope that we can now move to heal any rifts that had opened up in the university community over the affair. The SRC looks forward to playing a constructive role in the weeks and months to come.

Clearly a cancellation of this year’s procession was the last thing anyone desired, so I’m now confident that this year’s procession can be the most inclusive ever. In the context of our 600th anniversary, we look to the past but also look to the future and must make sure that the there is a place for everyone at the University and in the celebration of its traditions.”

4 comments

• So the Principal has already ditched the failing Kate Kennedy Fellowship? Classy. Remarkable for her to claim to celebrate the procession when she singlehandedly attempted to destroy it…

• Very wet. But at least that group of tree-hugging leftists in the Union won’t get hold of the Procession.

• Andy Westbank

Hey is it still too late for met to joing that awesome sounding Fellowship that the principal set up?

• David Andren

I became a Life Member of the Kate Kennedy Club in, I think, 1961 and am a former President of the SRC. I am also a past Chairman of the St Andrews University London CLub.

I have been very disturbed by the bad press the University has been receiving as a result of this argument between the KK Club and the KK fellowship.

I am delighted this issue has now been resolved. Up to now I have been reluctant to make any donations to the Association but if now approached will do so and be happy to encourage other alumni to do the same.

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Willie Rennie urges Alex Salmond to quit ‘Remain’ campaign in EU debate

Willie Rennie urges Alex Salmond to quit ‘Remain’ campaign in EU debate

Willie Rennie, the member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) for North East Fife, has encouraged Alex Salmond to quit the campaign for the UK to remain in the European Union (EU) “before he does any more damage.” Mr Rennie, the leader of the Scottish Liberal Democrats, said that the former First...

Read more →
  • Thompson and Jewitt triumph in Duke’s Spring Gold Medal

Thompson and Jewitt triumph in Duke’s Spring Gold Medal

Sunday 15th May saw the annual Duke’s Golf Club Spring Gold Medal competitions for men and women take place at the Duke’s Golf Course in St Andrews, with Greg Thompson and Jude Jewitt running out the winners. The Duke’s is the only non-links course in St Andrews and provides a challenging...

Read more →
  • St Andrews ranked top university in Scotland

St Andrews ranked top university in Scotland

St Andrews has maintained its third place ranking in the Guardian University League Table 2017 announced today. The University has also retained its status as the top-ranked university in Scotland, according to the league table. St Andrews also claimed the top ranking in the UK for several subjects,...

Read more →
  • Sports Ball was a drunken disorderly mess

Sports Ball was a drunken disorderly mess

Photo: Lightbox Creative Thursday night saw the annual sports ball hosted at the Fairmont. The event is one of the last black tie events in St Andrews, with set tickets and tables assigned to each sports club within the Athletic Union. The evening includes dinner and a ceilidh, making it one of the...

Read more →
  • The Vic wishes us a sweet Summer Sixteen

The Vic wishes us a sweet Summer Sixteen

As we crested the culmination of the second semester exam diet, many of us took last Thursday as the chance to say our drunken farewells to the streets that we have stumbled upon, to the acquaintances we vaguely know from the library, and to the late night takeaway places that will soon grow quiet in...

Read more →