Taste buds tingle at the Fine Food Fayre

0

Photo: Yasmin AndrewsSt Andrews’ Fine Food and Dining Society held the University’s very first ‘Fine Food Fayre’ in Venue 1 of The Union on Sunday afternoon.

The event was run in association with RAG week and offered a showcase of the best local food and drinks producers with tastings, competitions and cooking demonstrations by the Fine Foods society. Entry was £5, which went towards the University’s six nominated charities.

A long queue of students keen to try some of Fife’s finest foods formed outside Venue 1 as the fayre opened at 4pm on Sunday. The location was set up with numerous stalls belonging to local shops and food producers, as well as some of the University’s own societies, including the Hispanic, Greek and sushi societies. The various vendors and societies offered food samples, vouchers and information about the Fife food scene.

Photo: Yasmin AndrewsThe event was an opportunity both for students to find out more about local food offerings and for vendors to promote their businesses amongst students interested in food. One stand, for example, offered information about the Fife Farmer’s Market, which is held on the first Saturday of every month in the Argyle Street car park.

The fair was very busy and some stalls quickly ran out of free samples. A representative from Butler & Co., a local deli and wrap bar popular with students, said the free wrap-samples went with “lightning speed”.

Other businesses present at the event included B. Jannettas, Fletchers of Auchtermuchty and Demijohn, a ‘liquid deli’ with shops in Edinburgh, Glasgow and York that sell oils, vinegars and spirits in decorative glass demi-johns.

According to one Fine Food society representative, the event was a joint effort between the society, RAG week and David Graves. The society was very pleased with the turnout and thought that there was a good response to the advertising outside The Union on Saturday.