Sunday 4 December was a fairly eventful game day for Saints Volleyball, with the highlight of the day being a hard fought win for the Women’s 2nd team against Stirling.

The match eventually ended 3-1 to St Andrews after an intense game in front of a packed Sports Hall. After going two sets up, the St Andrews side let their game slip very slightly and Stirling were able to claim a convincing set.
The visitors very nearly took another, but were denied by a strong comeback at the end of the fourth set by St Andrews, who managed to seal the win, which puts the pressure on Stirling in BUCS Scottish 2A.

The Men’s team were given a walk-over result, meaning a 3-0 win over Robert Gordon University. This was exactly the result (if not the manner in which it was achieved) they were looking for, and it sets them in excellent stead for a potential first place in their division (the BUCS Scottish 2A league).

The Women’s 1st team narrowly lost out in a nail-biting fifth set against Aberdeen that went way over the normal points cap because of the requirement to win the set by two clear points.
The stirring fight shown by the St Andrews side in the final set made the match especially enjoyable for the spectators, and really highlighted the potential that the team has to capitalise on over the rest of the season. It also bodes well for the girls’ Trophy campaign, in which they have already earned themselves a place in the quarter-finals (after an away win over Aberdeen); they will be hoping for a repeat of last year, when they won the competition.
Unfortunately, on the day the away side did manage to hold out in the final set, leaving the final score St Andrews 2-3 Aberdeen. Saints’ next match is against Dundee in February.

The author is the Volleyball Men’s 1sts Captain