One of the highlights of the Canoe Club calendar is the BUCS Wild Water Racing championships held in North Yorkshire at the end of November, a chance for members to demonstrate their strength, speed and river-reading skills against 26 other British universities. This year, a team of 19 headed south of the border with hopes of reliving the success of last year. The Saturday saw everyone take part in the classic race down a 3km grade 2/3 section of the river in both kayak, canoe and team categories. Freshers and seasoned pros alike gave it their all, obtaining some excellent results. 

A 3-course dinner and a huge party in a barn on the evening were worth a day of mud and driving rain. The extreme weather proved difficult for camping, with some of the St Andrews team sleeping in cars after losing tents in gale-force winds! It was rather relieving then, that Sunday posed an easier grade 2 sprint section over 800 m. Again, the whole team put in a sterling effort and St Andrews finished in 5th place overall. The club is very proud of this result and is now looking forward to the next BUCS event, Slalom, in February.

Highlights from the weekend:

5th place Men’s Team – Patrick Jenner, James McMahon, Calum Fisher

9th place K1W Classic/ 11th place Sprint – Amy Kincaid

16th place K1W Classic Men – Jon Harwell

11th place Mixed Team – Camille Hayes, Jean Sellar, Kirstie Macmillan