1. What is the organizational infrastructure of OWS? Do you think the massive expansion of OWS movements all over the world can lead to something completely out of control and hurt the cause you guys are trying to champion?

In terms of organizational structure, there is the general assembly, and there are work-groups. There are also just people, people who do and talk and write and decide things as they go. That’s unavoidable, and it’s fine, although we always have to be careful that decentralization doesn’t just lead to open spaces being dominated by people who are already empowered in society to lead and express themselves. As far as the massive growth, I think it’s good. It speaks to the level of pent up creativity, latent resistance, and yearning for a better world. I think it will be hard to coordinate, but toally doable. If the capitalists can talk to each other and figure out how to work together, so can we.

2. Why, personally, are you part of OWS?
I see this as important moment to open new possibilities to win a free society. I think there are fundamental flaws in the way our society is organized – in terms of race, gender, sexuality, class, community, power, and ecology. I also think it doesn’t have to be this way, that there is an alternative, and that building movements capable both of creating an alternative and fighting for it is the only way to go. I am part of an organization, also, that thinks this as well: www.afreesociety.org. Many of us are involved.

3. What do you think about the millionaires joining the cause? Does a casual Kanye sighting at OWS go against the OWS
message/philosophy? Or does it strengthen it? Are there some who have no right piggybacking onto OWS?

I’m fine with that. I generally don’t have much of a problem with individuals, our fight is against institutions, and for different institutions. I do think individuals have some level of responsibility, though, some more than others, so I think rich people who join the movement are using that responsibility properly, just like white people who fight against racism, men who fight patriarchy, etc. Also, on a practical level, hell yeah we want their support. I want to take their gifts and use them as weapons to make gift-giving entirely unnecessary.

4. You say you’re winning. Now what does it mean to you for the battle to be completely won? Do you hope OWS will go on indefinitely until that ideal society emerges?

Good question. I don’t see an end anywhere in sight. I want a participatory economy, a genuinely democratic political system, a liberated set of gender and sexual relations, communities that have autonomy within solidarity. And more (I wrote about it, I think you know where I’m coming from). It’s a lot. I don’t think OWS in particular will necessaily see that through, and that’s ok. We’re building a movement for longterm social transformation. It will take generations and it will have many faces. We’ve got to be in it for the long haul. I do think those things are winnable, but they will take time and struggle – to define our values, to build the institutions through which we can express them, to fight agains the forces keeping those institutions down, to win space for them, to turn them into the norm, to work through the new problems and conflicts that inevitably emerge, to practice practice practice.