St Andrews local killed in car accident

0

A St Andrews resident died in a car accident on the A91 just outside St Andrews on Wednesday 28 September.

The crash took place in the early hours of Wednesday morning and did not involve any other vehicles. The silver Ford Focus was driving from Guardbridge towards St Andrews at 4:15 am when it careened off the road and overturned, according to Fife Constabulary.

The driver – named as 56-yearold mother, Grace Thom – was the only occupant of the car.

Despite the speedy arrival of paramedics on the scene, Mrs. Thom was pronounced dead some three hours later at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.

Investigations into the circumstances surrounding the crash are ongoing, and police are still appealing for any witnesses.

The news broke in a week where road accidents were at the forefront of the public mindset, as two days later the Conservative Transport Secretary, Philip Hammond, announced that the government is planning to increase the speed limit on motorways in the UK from 70mph to 80mph.

Mr. Hammond explained the plans aimed to “make sure that our motorway speed limit reflects the reality of modern vehicles…not those of 50 years ago.”

The current motorway speed limit was introduced in 1965, when the majority of road cars would struggle to reach 70 mph.

The proposal will also include a widespread expansion of the 20mph zones in built-up areas. Under the new Scotland Bill, Holyrood will take control of national speed limits in Scotland next year, but seem unlikely to support the plans.

Richard Dixon, director of WWF Scotland, said of the proposals: “This is an entirely backwards move and would be particularly unfortunate in Scotland where the government has already raised the idea of lower speed limits to save lives.”

“It will be fascinating to learn from an official consultation how many more people UK ministers propose to condemn to death so a few people can get to a meeting five minutes early,” Dixon added.

Fife sees on average 20 deaths on the road a year, with the A91 being particularly dangerous; two people have died driving on it in the last month.

Opponents of the plans have pointed out that allowing faster driving on the motorway encourages faster, more reckless behaviour on the already far more dangerous A-roads of Britain. The government consultation on the proposed speed limit increase is due to report back in a couple of months.