FS Young Designer Competition launched

0

A competition run by FS 2012, St Andrews’ Student Fashion Show, is aiming to raise the profiles of young fashion designers.

The Alfa Romeo Young Designer Competition is encouraging all budding student designers to apply. Applications will be accepted until 15th October.

The competition, now in its second year, seeks student designers from across the UK. Five finalists will be selected to feature their designs in the fashion show on Saturday 25th February and in a photo shoot for FS Magazine.

“The aim of the competition is to search for and find the very best designing talent the UK has to  offer,” said a spokesman for FS.

“Last year the competition did that very successfully. It found young designers that had, above all, lots of ability and showed huge promise for the future.

This competition with all of its opportunities could provide a real springboard for these young designers’ careers.”

Last year, the competition received applications from all around the world, and an even greater number of applications are expected this year.

The first step of the application process includes a short form available on the FS website. Applicants will then be interviewed by a judging panel composed of Amy Molyneaux and Percy Parker (the PPQ design duo) and Alex Evans, the winner of Britain’s Next Top Model.

The winner of the competition will be entitled to £1000 in prize money courtesy of Alfa Romeo, the opportunity to design a fashion line worth £500 in support of charity, and a feature and spread in FS Magazine. The chosen charity for FS 2012 is The Muir Maxwell Trust.

Emma Sherlock, the only finalist from St Andrews in last year’s competition, spoke positively of her experience. “My favourite moment of the show was watching my garments on stage,” said the self-taught dress maker.

“The process of design to actual making is very slow, hard work. To see the final product alongside my closest friends makes it all worth it.”

For the fourth year Art History student, one highlight of the competition was coming into contact with people in the fashion industry. Sherlock undertook an internship with PPQ this past summer.

FS will be celebrating its 20th anniversary this upcoming winter. The organisation has raised over £180,000 for various charities in the past ten years.

“It looks like FS is going to be great this year. I’m excited to see what the designers come up with,” said second year Erin Greengrass.