Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Review: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

With an explosion of mischief and mayhem that absolutely dazzles, the wizarding world we know and love is back. Taking us across to New York and back in time to the Roaring Twenties, Rowling, with her own screenplay, shows us the realm of Harry Potter like we’ve never seen it before – but with...

Read more →
  • Review: Label: My Body

Review: Label: My Body

Image: Label Inspired by The Vagina Monologues, Label brought us a new event in the Label calendar – My Body, which explored our relationship with our bodies, sexuality and love. The subjects were diverse, but were united under the umbrella of Label’s mission of experience-exploration and its...

Read more →
  • Kicking things off in style: St Andrews’ success in inter-uni competition

Kicking things off in style: St Andrews’ success in inter-uni competition

Photo: Ian Cameron Students from across Scotland gathered in Dundee last Saturday to compete in an inter-university Taekwon-do competition hosted by St Andrews instructors. This competition had representatives from the Universities of St Andrews, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, and what we like to call...

Read more →
  • A stirring return for Wednesday Night Lights

A stirring return for Wednesday Night Lights

Photo: Saints Rugby Leaving home is never easy. The University of St Andrews Men’s Rugby team learned that the hard way last season, facing arduous trips to Nottingham, Worcester, Loughborough and Birmingham. Those trips took their toll on the players and they were unable to really make a fist of the...

Read more →
  • Mermaid’s Christmas Ball: style review

Mermaid’s Christmas Ball: style review

The Mermaid’s annual Christmas Ball put its best foot forward, and so did the guests, but in a bit of a more literal sense. Unlike themes of the past few years, such as Harry Potter, Narnia, and Willy Wonka, this years was a bit more Christmas geared; featuring The Nightmare Before Christmas. The committee...

Read more →