Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Pornography reviewed

Pornography reviewed

When entering the Barron theatre to see Simon Stephen’s Pornography, I was unsure what to expect. I was familiar with the subject matter; the 7/7 bombings and London Olympic bid were relatively fresh in my memory, yet the shock factor of the title hinted at something deeper and darker than a retelling...

Read more →
  • The low down on our traditions

The low down on our traditions

St Andrews prides itself on tradition and, over the last 600 years, has certainly accumulated enough of it. Often cited as a key factor in a student’s decision to attend the University, traditions help unify our rather cosmopolitan student population and provide fun ways of celebrating the history...

Read more →
  • University traditions: How does St Andrews stack up?

University traditions: How does St Andrews stack up?

We all know that the University of St Andrews takes the cake for the best university traditions. Nothing can rival our beloved Raisin Weekend in its duration or its variety of events. Even May Dip outranks most university traditions: what other student body is so committed to tradition as to pull an...

Read more →
  • Academic family planning clinic

Academic family planning clinic

Adopting kids is a big responsibility. You need to love them, home them and clothe them, and teach them to be good, kind people. You can only hope that they take your dashing good looks, impeccable genes and faultless parenting advice as they fledge the nest, open their wings and fly off into the big,...

Read more →
  • Your official guide to Raisin

Your official guide to Raisin

Safety Please check out this Union resource: http://www.yourunion.net/support/stayingsafe/raisinweekend/ Additionally, please make sure you stick to the buddy system and always be sensible about how much you drink. Parents Purchase in advance This is the biggest weekend in our academic calendars,...

Read more →