Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Was Rio 2016 really worth it?

Was Rio 2016 really worth it?

After a Closing Ceremony that most would have slept through and few watched, the 2016 Olympic Games are over. There were times in the preceding years when some even doubted whether the Games would procced for the first time ever in South America; unfinished stadiums, dubiously coloured diving pools,...

Read more →
  • Rio 2016 brings Team GB’s finest hour

Rio 2016 brings Team GB’s finest hour

So that’s it. As the sun went down in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday 21 August, the games of the XXXI Olympiad drew to a close. The Games were the first to be held in South America and faced the onerous task of following the organisational precision of London 2012. Whilst the Brazilians were always going...

Read more →
  • Debris litters shores of East Sands, visitors warned to avoid water

Debris litters shores of East Sands, visitors warned to avoid water

East Sands is officially closed for business: Visitors have been told to avoid the waters of the local beach after its shores were covered by between 40 and 50 piles of silt. The debris, which according to Fife Today was deposited by a contractor this past weekend, came from Kinness Burn and St Andrews...

Read more →
  • Signed, sealed, delivered: why we should all start writing letters again

Signed, sealed, delivered: why we should all start writing letters again

Richard Croft – Wikimedia Commons As if the summer holidays hadn’t been boring enough, my mother recently asked me to go through some of the relics that had been left to gather dust in the loft since long before my birth. Yet another show-stopping day of the summer holidays, I thought. This exercise,...

Read more →
  • Fisher & Donaldson failed to pay minimum wage, says government report

Fisher & Donaldson failed to pay minimum wage, says government report

Local bakery Fisher and Donaldson has been reprimanded for failing to pay minimum wage to several employees. The business was highlighted along with 198 other firms across the UK as part of the government’s new “name and shame” scheme. The Fife company was found to have owed £574.32 to...

Read more →