Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The Kate Kennedy Opening Ball: a modern twist to the traditional ball

The Kate Kennedy Opening Ball: a modern twist to the traditional ball

Photo: Lorelei Pfeffer Despite the recent backlash against Opening Ball, with many noting its lack of originality in the past, a surprisingly large number of people attended Saturday’s event. For hours the ball was bustling. It had a modern and interactive layout: the lawn had an unspoken split...

Read more →
  • The Waste Land reviewed

The Waste Land reviewed

To stage a rehearsed reading of T. S. Eliot’s The Waste Land is incredibly ambitious: the poem builds on the entire literary canon preceding its composition and is perhaps the most important of the 20th century. I do not exaggerate in saying that my entire perception of literature was changed...

Read more →
  • The Waste Land: an interview with the director

The Waste Land: an interview with the director

The Waste Land is a long poem by modernist T. S. Eliot, rendered into a rehearsed reading by the team from Mermaids Performing Arts Fund. Director Joanna Bowman answered The Saint‘s questions and gave us a few hints ahead of the weekend’s performances. The Saint: First could you tell us a...

Read more →
  • Vandalism puts town-gown relations under spotlight

Vandalism puts town-gown relations under spotlight

A local resident has accused students of vandalisng his car, putting town-gown relations under strain. A former student of the University himself, Reverend Doctor John Cameron hit out at the University after students jumped on the bonnet of his car in the early hours of Wednesday last week, causing a...

Read more →
  • St Andrews triumphant in Varsity nail-biter

St Andrews triumphant in Varsity nail-biter

The evening of Saturday, the 26th of September 2015, saw battle between two old rivals on a rugby pitch, in one of the national stadiums in the United Kingdom. A dramatic end saw the away side prevail over the home side, and to the victor the considerable spoils. Of course this was not the England vs...

Read more →