Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Association report backs reform of SRC

Association report backs reform of SRC

A report commissioned by the Students’ Association has supported reform of the Students’ Representative Council (SRC), suggesting that it be enlarged and restructured to give more power to its subcommittees. Reform of the SRC, which acts like a student parliament to debate and pass Association...

Read more →
  • Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Wolf Whistle review

Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Wolf Whistle review

Wolf Whistle Playwright: Joanna Alpern **** Wolf Whistle, written by Joanna Alpern, revolves around three women: Becca (Cate Kelly) a sassy schoolgirl obsessed with her sexuality, Clare (Laura Ferguson) a motherly yet childless bus driver, and Amanda (Coco Claxton), an uptight wannabe medic who devotes...

Read more →
  • How to avoid the St Andrews style cliches

How to avoid the St Andrews style cliches

The “St Andrews style”? Photo: Anna McAlpine Congratulations: you’ve made it into St Andrews! With Freshers’ Week approaching, if you’re anything like I was then you may be wondering what on earth you should be packing to keep you stylish in the tiny coastal town that is St...

Read more →
  • Fairmont St Andrews sold to American property fund

Fairmont St Andrews sold to American property fund

After two months on the market, the Fairmont St Andrews Hotel and Golf Resort has been sold for £32.4 million. Despite experiencing significant losses over recent years, the luxury 209-bed hotel attracted the attention of many international investors, according to previous owners CBRE Hotels. Kennedy...

Read more →
  • Freshers’ Week 2014: STARFIELDS

Freshers’ Week 2014: STARFIELDS

When? Saturday 13 September Where? Lower College Lawn Price? £35 Likely the most anticipated event of Freshers’ Week, St Andrews Charity Fashion Show (aka FS) has announced plans to host its launch party, STARFIELDS, during the first week of term for a second year running. For those unfamiliar...

Read more →