Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Gaudie 2016: the Kate Kennedy Club lights the way to May Dip

Gaudie 2016: the Kate Kennedy Club lights the way to May Dip

Photo: Tilted Frame Photography As familiar a name to St Andrews as Patrick Hamilton, John Honey is immortalised in the form of a stained glass window in St Salvator’s Chapel, the prestigious John Honey Award, and the Gaudie. Held each year on the final evening of April, the Gaudie deviates from...

Read more →
  • The anorexia paradox

The anorexia paradox

Anorexia nervosa is defined by Merriam-Webster’s dictionary as “a serious physical and emotional illness in which an abnormal fear of being fat leads to very poor eating habits and dangerous weight loss.” When you type the term “anorexia” into Google, you are faced with...

Read more →
  • Battle of the Bands: bringing live music to St Andrews

Battle of the Bands: bringing live music to St Andrews

On the night of May Dip, the best house parties don’t begin until 2am. With this in mind, the Union will be offering a pre-party in the form of Battle of the Bands, the first iteration of what is anticipated to become a yearly event. Billed as the largest live music event in St Andrews, the Battle...

Read more →
  • Has the Bubble burst?

Has the Bubble burst?

Photo: The Saint The spread of media has been seen by some to have destroyed geographical boundaries, meaning that we are never disconnected from what is happening around us. The ready availability of electronic devices in our society means that we have instant access to scenes from all over the world,...

Read more →
  • University to introduce “Independent Learning Week” in Semester one

University to introduce “Independent Learning Week” in Semester one

The University’s Academic Council has formally approved plans to introduce an “Independent Learning Week” in Week Six of Semester One. There will be no classes or deadlines scheduled for during this week. The decision follows years of debate and discussion after the University removed the previous...

Read more →