Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• African Economic Prospects Talk falls down at the seams

African Economic Prospects Talk falls down at the seams

Monday night’s sold-out talk by Professor Mthuli Ncube, a world leading economist, was shaping up to be a night of intellectual curiosity, learning and debate. Despite a late venue change due to oversubscribed tickets, a full crowd filled the Buchanan lecture theatre promptly at 6:30 pm, and the...

Read more →
  • Venice Film Festival: A Conversation with Lars Von Trier and Stellan Skarsgård

Venice Film Festival: A Conversation with Lars Von Trier and Stellan Skarsgård

Co-Founder of the Dogme 95 movement auteur provocateur Lars Von Trier’s 5 ½ hour director’s cut two part version of Nymphomaniac with added sex premiered at the Venice Film Festival. The film tells the story of the bachelor Seligman (Stellan Skarsgård) who finds the self-diagnosed nymphomaniac,...

Read more →
  • St Andrews bids farewell to Bella Italia and Bibi’s Bakery

St Andrews bids farewell to Bella Italia and Bibi’s Bakery

This weekend saw two popular St Andrews establishments shut their doors for the last time. Both Bibi’s Bakery and Bella Italia recently opted to discontinue their trade in town. The more surprising of the two closures has to be Bella Italia. With the backing of a larger brand as well as good student...

Read more →
  • University rises to 3rd place in The Sunday Times rankings

University rises to 3rd place in The Sunday Times rankings

The University of St Andrews has ranked third in the UK in The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015, rising one place since last year. St Andrews was also named Scottish University of the Year, placing first in the Scottish league table. The only universities ranked higher than St Andrews in the UK...

Read more →
  • Saints Sport Colour Run a vibrant success

Saints Sport Colour Run a vibrant success

They approached the Sports Centre from all sides, and all angles. Some turned up alone, many arrived in groups. All of them were armed with trainers, clutching drinks, and sporting garishly-coloured attire. The result? The Saints Sport Colour Run 2014, taking place last Saturday, was a veritable kaleidoscope...

Read more →