Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• The Springboks do it again

The Springboks do it again

As dusk settled over the Scottish scenery, the Springboks gathered at Balgove Larder to present us with an outstanding event. With the smell of freshly grilled meat on the breeze, the South African braai* spirit was definitely present. A variety of students milled about the Larder, enjoying the last...

Read more →
  • A guide to the Mercury Prize shortlist

A guide to the Mercury Prize shortlist

Photo: inquirelive Blackstar by David Bowie: Blackstar was unveiled just two days before the ever-innovative Bowie succumbed to his fight with liver cancer. Creepy yet tragic, the experimental jazz instrumentation beneath an enfeebled yet unceasingly familiar voice offers a spirited goodbye and examination...

Read more →
  • Women’s rugby set to take centre stage at Murrayfield

Women’s rugby set to take centre stage at Murrayfield

Photo Credit: Saints Rugby The history of the Varsity is one rich in both victory and defeat. The oldest student rugby match in the world, the sporting fixture has settled nicely into Murrayfield, where the Edinburgh and St Andrews teams will be supported by a crowd 10,000 students strong. Although the...

Read more →
  • A look at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival

A look at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival

The 73rd Venice International Film Festival, or the “International Exhibition of Cinematographic Art of the Venice Biennale,” has already come to an end. This year the main jury was led by English director Sam Mendes, together with a series of relatively famous international names such as Laurie...

Read more →
  • Association investigation confirms Conservative Society “election fraud”

Association investigation confirms Conservative Society “election fraud”

Photo: Michael Green, the society committee that was elected at the AGM in question An investigation conducted by the Students Association has found that allegations of “election fraud” against the St Andrews Conservative and Unionist Society committee, first revealed in a report by The Saint earlier...

Read more →