Expelled student speaks out on “ridiculous” punishment

October 13, 2011 8:30 am 0 comments

A St Andrews student who was convicted of racism has described himself as the victim of “misinformation, melodrama and outright lies.”

As detailed in the previous issue of The Saint, Paul Donnachie, 19, was expelled from the University and sentenced to 150 hours of community service after being found guilty of a racist breach of the peace.

Charges had been brought against Donnachie after he defiled an Israeli flag belonging to Chanan Reitblat, an American student studying in St Andrews for a semester, in March of this year.

In an exclusive letter to The Saint, Mr. Donnachie attacks what he describes as Mr. Reitblat’s “malice and irrationality,” and labels his punishment “ridiculous and disproportionate,” as well as questioning the truthfulness of Mr. Reitblat’s testimony.

During an incident on the morning of March 12, Donnachie had entered Mr. Reitblat’s room in their shared halls of residence, John Burnet Halls, after a drunken night out.

Noticing an Israeli flag hanging on the wall, Donnachie declared the flag to be a “terrorist symbol.” He then unbuttoned his trousers, removed a pubic hair and rubbed it on the flag.

In his letter, Mr. Donnachie accuses Mr. Reitblat of “rabid invention,” asserting that several parts of his testimony were untrue. He particularly takes issue with his accuser’s allegation that Mr. Donnachie called him a “terrorist,” as well as with Mr. Reitblat’s denial that they had engaged in a political discussion on the conflict in Palestine prior to the incident with the flag.

“Reitblat’s evidence in court was truly Oscar worthy,” Mr. Donnachie states.

Mr. Donnachie also believes that his criminal conviction was a disproportionate response to his role in the incident, arguing that it should have been dealt with through internal University procedures rather than in a court of law.

“I maintain that this affair should have been dealt with through mediation and the buying of a pint,” he argues.

The ill-feeling between Messrs Reitblat and Donnachie shows no sign of abating in the near future. In a perhaps ill-advised allusion, in light of the charges of racism brought against him, to Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice, Mr. Donnachie likens Mr. Reitblat to the character of Shylock, a Jewish moneylender, describing the American student as “akin to one with an insatiable appetite, who, having devoured his pound of flesh, wishes to further feast.”

Mr. Donnachie has announced his intention to travel to the Palestinian territories in the near future in order to “witness first-hand the degradation inflicted upon the Palestinian people by the Israeli state.”

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Edinburgh National Gallery’s Titian exhibition fails to match its London counterpart

Edinburgh National Gallery’s Titian exhibition fails to match its London counterpart

Titian’s Diana and Acteon. Image: Wikimedia Commons. The recent acquisition of three of Titian’s six ‘poesie’ works of mythological scenes by the National Gallery in London, and the National Galleries Edinburgh, has instantly become one of the crowning glories of Britain’s National Art...

Read more →
  • A taste of Hong Kong

A taste of Hong Kong

A panorama of the Hong Kong skyline. Photo: WikiCommons There is a traditional Chinese phrase that means in English ‘the neighbour’s food smells good’. Like a lot of Chinese phrases, it seems to be a rather odd thing to say, but is somewhat meaningful. In this case, the phrase suggests that because...

Read more →
  • SSC round-up: renaming the ball convenor, renewing Association projects and holding charities campaign elections

SSC round-up: renaming the ball convenor, renewing Association projects and holding charities campaign elections

The Student Services Council (SSC) held their first meeting since the 2014 student elections on Tuesday 22 April, in the Committee Room at 7pm. This will be the last meeting of the councils during this academic year. Two motions were quickly passed. The first was a proposal to rename the ball convenor...

Read more →
  • Interview: the St Andrews Young European Movement

Interview: the St Andrews Young European Movement

With David Cameron and Ed Miliband both talking seriously about a UK referendum on the European Union, the EU elections fast approaching on 22 May and the Scottish referendum raising questions about EU membership, Europe is proving a relevant topic for the politically engaged. The Saint sat down with...

Read more →
  • The Iron Author – Benjamin Grove interview

The Iron Author – Benjamin Grove interview

Margaret Thatcher is the subject of a new student-penned musical. Image: Wikimedia Commons. I think I can say with confidence that when the average person thinks ‘Margaret Thatcher’, the following word is rarely, if ever, ‘musical’. Well, why not? If Jerry Springer can have a musical, why not...

Read more →