Renovated Library reopens its doors

September 29, 2011 11:00 am 0 comments

After a several million pound summer facelift, the St Andrews University library reopened to students on Monday,  26 September.

The Library Redevelopment project has seen its budget slashed from the initially proposed £47 million to £14 million, resulting in scrapping plans for a significant extension.

“The budget cuts have certainly been a disappointment to all,” noted Ewan McCubbin, the Assistant Director of Library Services. “However, we have still been able to achieve a tremendous amount of what we would have been able to do with the full budget,” he added.

This year, redevelopment works have included the addition of a cafe, furniture and carpet refurbishment, increased number of power outlets and the creation of bookable study spaces. Due to improvements in ventilation, heating and lighting, the building now boasts a more environmentally efficient design.

Some financial resources were dedicated to expanding the library’s book collection and databases, whilst the library’s opening hours have also been expanded.

Such changes responded to demand for a more study-friendly environment, modern equipment and resources, areas which had repeatedly resulted in low ratings in the iGrad survey.

Alongside its new interior design, the redevelopment has resulted in the creation of increased seating spaces. “Despite the limited budget,” McCubbin explained, “we have been able to create the same amount of seating spaces as the original plans included.”

This means an increase from 700 to 1200 spaces, which will be fulfilled after next year’s refurbishments. Extra seating space has been created by moving Special Collections to the North Haugh, as well as by relocating library staff offices from Level 1 to Level 2.

“It has meant inconvenience for the staff,” McCubbin mentioned, “but it has also provided staff with better quality accommodation.”

Further redevelopment works are due to continue in summer 2012, when Levels 3 and 4 will be refurbished. Beyond improvements in the central library, the continuation of the project also includes a new future location for Special Collections as well as the construction of a store for library resources.

The recent improvements have been the first significant investment in the library since it opened in the 1970s. “Plans for redevelopment were proposed before, but a firm decision on the final plan was not taken for many years,” McCubbin noted. “The discussion could have gone on for 10 more years,” he added. “We have shopped wisely and put students first, so we are very pleased with what we are delivering,” he concluded.

Returning students seemed impressed with the new layout. “I really like it. It’s very nice, much cleaner and brighter than before,” said Paul Ryder, a fourth year student from St Louis, Missouri.

“The cafe in particular is a great addition. People need food when they’re studying, it’s very prudent,” he added.

Share this article

Tags:

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Principal confirms tragic death of first year student

Principal confirms tragic death of first year student

Louise Richardson, principal of the University, has confirmed the death of first year student Kieran McCann in an email sent to students and staff this morning. Her email said: “I’m afraid that I am writing with very sad news. As many of you will already be aware, the search for Kieran McCann, one...

Read more →
  • Refreshers’ 2015: Sinners

Refreshers’ 2015: Sinners

With the closure of Venue 1, St Andrews students held a fair amount of skepticism about the Union’s ability to maintain its nightlife. However, Wednesday nights’ Refreshers’ Sinners made clear that students can still rely on the Union for a great night out. To capitalize on the space available,...

Read more →
  • Body found on St Andrews beach

Body found on St Andrews beach

The body of a man has been found on the beach in St Andrews, police in Fife have confirmed. A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Enquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances.” While there is no official confirmation, the body was found as part of the missing person enquiry into Kieran...

Read more →
  • Student missing after night out

Student missing after night out

A first year St Andrews student, Kieran McCann, has been reported missing after a night out. Friends report seeing him at the Vic in the early hours of Wednesday 28 January, adding that he appeared tipsy but not drunk. A close friend of Mr McCann, Piers Ruud Moss, told The Saint that concern for him has...

Read more →
  • Blackhorn gains licence to sell alcohol

Blackhorn gains licence to sell alcohol

Blackhorn, a burger bar on St Andrews’ Church Street, now has a licence to sell alcohol in spite of opposition from local residents. The decision, made by the Fife licensing board, will also allow the restaurant to stay open later. The board made the decision despite the nine public complaints on issues...

Read more →