Renovated Library reopens its doors

September 29, 2011 11:00 am 0 comments

After a several million pound summer facelift, the St Andrews University library reopened to students on Monday,  26 September.

The Library Redevelopment project has seen its budget slashed from the initially proposed £47 million to £14 million, resulting in scrapping plans for a significant extension.

“The budget cuts have certainly been a disappointment to all,” noted Ewan McCubbin, the Assistant Director of Library Services. “However, we have still been able to achieve a tremendous amount of what we would have been able to do with the full budget,” he added.

This year, redevelopment works have included the addition of a cafe, furniture and carpet refurbishment, increased number of power outlets and the creation of bookable study spaces. Due to improvements in ventilation, heating and lighting, the building now boasts a more environmentally efficient design.

Some financial resources were dedicated to expanding the library’s book collection and databases, whilst the library’s opening hours have also been expanded.

Such changes responded to demand for a more study-friendly environment, modern equipment and resources, areas which had repeatedly resulted in low ratings in the iGrad survey.

Alongside its new interior design, the redevelopment has resulted in the creation of increased seating spaces. “Despite the limited budget,” McCubbin explained, “we have been able to create the same amount of seating spaces as the original plans included.”

This means an increase from 700 to 1200 spaces, which will be fulfilled after next year’s refurbishments. Extra seating space has been created by moving Special Collections to the North Haugh, as well as by relocating library staff offices from Level 1 to Level 2.

“It has meant inconvenience for the staff,” McCubbin mentioned, “but it has also provided staff with better quality accommodation.”

Further redevelopment works are due to continue in summer 2012, when Levels 3 and 4 will be refurbished. Beyond improvements in the central library, the continuation of the project also includes a new future location for Special Collections as well as the construction of a store for library resources.

The recent improvements have been the first significant investment in the library since it opened in the 1970s. “Plans for redevelopment were proposed before, but a firm decision on the final plan was not taken for many years,” McCubbin noted. “The discussion could have gone on for 10 more years,” he added. “We have shopped wisely and put students first, so we are very pleased with what we are delivering,” he concluded.

Returning students seemed impressed with the new layout. “I really like it. It’s very nice, much cleaner and brighter than before,” said Paul Ryder, a fourth year student from St Louis, Missouri.

“The cafe in particular is a great addition. People need food when they’re studying, it’s very prudent,” he added.

Share this article

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Mermaids Christmas Ball: A mystical night at Hogwarts!

Mermaids Christmas Ball: A mystical night at Hogwarts!

Mermaids Christmas Ball truly succeeded this year into delving into the world of Harry Potter. With candles floating from the ceiling, to butterbeer at ‘The Leaky Cauldron’, the night was filled with sparks, magic and an enchanting atmosphere. After many people waited for countless hours to get...

Read more →
  • ‘Tis the season: holiday fun in St Andrews

‘Tis the season: holiday fun in St Andrews

Photo: Wikimedia Commons Whether you’re one of the lucky language students who only have one exam or just fancy a break from revision, here are some of the best Christmas activities to do in and around St Andrews: Christmas Fayre at the Union, Wednesday 2 December 1-5 pm: There will be a Christmas...

Read more →
  • 602 Ball: “A cracking night!”

602 Ball: “A cracking night!”

On Saturday, St Andrews celebrated a milestone. The streets suddenly erupted in local pride, with bagpipers and singers uniting to remind us of our university and town’s esteemed history. Many of us were able to begin these celebrations early, journeying to Lower College Lawn for a birthday party...

Read more →
  • The Saint talks to Michael Miller, author of The Dragon’s Blade: The Reborn King

The Saint talks to Michael Miller, author of The Dragon’s Blade: The Reborn King

Michael Miller graduated from the University in 2014 with a first class degree in History. Now, at the age of 23, he has published his first novel – a fantasy entitled The Dragon’s Blade: The Reborn King. The Saint sat down with him to talk about the book, his advice for student writers...

Read more →
  • The Poet and the Rock Star

The Poet and the Rock Star

Photo credit: University of St Andrews   Two Pauls, both virtuosos of words and music, took to the stage for performances and an intimate conversation at the Byre Theatre on Wednesday November 4th for the kick-off event of the new artists series at St. Andrews, Soundings. Paul Muldoon opened...

Read more →