Renovated Library reopens its doors

September 29, 2011 11:00 am 0 comments

After a several million pound summer facelift, the St Andrews University library reopened to students on Monday,  26 September.

The Library Redevelopment project has seen its budget slashed from the initially proposed £47 million to £14 million, resulting in scrapping plans for a significant extension.

“The budget cuts have certainly been a disappointment to all,” noted Ewan McCubbin, the Assistant Director of Library Services. “However, we have still been able to achieve a tremendous amount of what we would have been able to do with the full budget,” he added.

This year, redevelopment works have included the addition of a cafe, furniture and carpet refurbishment, increased number of power outlets and the creation of bookable study spaces. Due to improvements in ventilation, heating and lighting, the building now boasts a more environmentally efficient design.

Some financial resources were dedicated to expanding the library’s book collection and databases, whilst the library’s opening hours have also been expanded.

Such changes responded to demand for a more study-friendly environment, modern equipment and resources, areas which had repeatedly resulted in low ratings in the iGrad survey.

Alongside its new interior design, the redevelopment has resulted in the creation of increased seating spaces. “Despite the limited budget,” McCubbin explained, “we have been able to create the same amount of seating spaces as the original plans included.”

This means an increase from 700 to 1200 spaces, which will be fulfilled after next year’s refurbishments. Extra seating space has been created by moving Special Collections to the North Haugh, as well as by relocating library staff offices from Level 1 to Level 2.

“It has meant inconvenience for the staff,” McCubbin mentioned, “but it has also provided staff with better quality accommodation.”

Further redevelopment works are due to continue in summer 2012, when Levels 3 and 4 will be refurbished. Beyond improvements in the central library, the continuation of the project also includes a new future location for Special Collections as well as the construction of a store for library resources.

The recent improvements have been the first significant investment in the library since it opened in the 1970s. “Plans for redevelopment were proposed before, but a firm decision on the final plan was not taken for many years,” McCubbin noted. “The discussion could have gone on for 10 more years,” he added. “We have shopped wisely and put students first, so we are very pleased with what we are delivering,” he concluded.

Returning students seemed impressed with the new layout. “I really like it. It’s very nice, much cleaner and brighter than before,” said Paul Ryder, a fourth year student from St Louis, Missouri.

“The cafe in particular is a great addition. People need food when they’re studying, it’s very prudent,” he added.

Share this article

Tags:

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Christmas Gala Reviewed: festive song and dance to kick start the season

Christmas Gala Reviewed: festive song and dance to kick start the season

With the end of the semester, the Christmas season brings with it the requisite onslaught of carols and services to ring in the holiday cheer. One of the first of many concerts to come, we were excited to see what the annual Christmas Gala put on by the Blue Angels and The Other Guys would look like...

Read more →
  • A student in distress

A student in distress

I sought the advice of Student Services shortly after arriving in St Andrews. I was in the grip of a full front existential life tizzy – grappling with fundamentals such as love, ambition, wealth accumulation and intellectual betterment (To complicate matters, I’d moved in with a Kiwi and realised...

Read more →
  • 36 Hours in Istanbul

36 Hours in Istanbul

Sunset over the Golden Horn.Photo: Wikimedia Commons Istanbul is the only city to span two continents, with a skyline that brings together minarets, church spires, the call to prayer and indie music from hip cafes. Although Istanbul is mostly known for its historical sites such as Hagia Sophia and the...

Read more →
  • Peon Icon: feminism – a male perspective

Peon Icon: feminism – a male perspective

In many ways, sexism and gender inequality are like a juicy pair of 38-Ds: they’re big, hard to control, draw plenty of attention, and require a lot of pressure to keep them in check. But through the hard work and self-reflection of our society in recent years, they have been wrangled. Sexism and gender...

Read more →
  • Local landlord’s fury over student safe sex poster

Local landlord’s fury over student safe sex poster

The NHS poster shown in the students’ window Photo credit: Raphael Benros Two students have filed a report with the police after their landlord became “aggressive and threatening” over their decision to display an NHS condom distribution poster. Michael Hobbs and Lucy Gallard, who are volunteers...

Read more →