Renovated Library reopens its doors

September 29, 2011 11:00 am 0 comments

After a several million pound summer facelift, the St Andrews University library reopened to students on Monday,  26 September.

The Library Redevelopment project has seen its budget slashed from the initially proposed £47 million to £14 million, resulting in scrapping plans for a significant extension.

“The budget cuts have certainly been a disappointment to all,” noted Ewan McCubbin, the Assistant Director of Library Services. “However, we have still been able to achieve a tremendous amount of what we would have been able to do with the full budget,” he added.

This year, redevelopment works have included the addition of a cafe, furniture and carpet refurbishment, increased number of power outlets and the creation of bookable study spaces. Due to improvements in ventilation, heating and lighting, the building now boasts a more environmentally efficient design.

Some financial resources were dedicated to expanding the library’s book collection and databases, whilst the library’s opening hours have also been expanded.

Such changes responded to demand for a more study-friendly environment, modern equipment and resources, areas which had repeatedly resulted in low ratings in the iGrad survey.

Alongside its new interior design, the redevelopment has resulted in the creation of increased seating spaces. “Despite the limited budget,” McCubbin explained, “we have been able to create the same amount of seating spaces as the original plans included.”

This means an increase from 700 to 1200 spaces, which will be fulfilled after next year’s refurbishments. Extra seating space has been created by moving Special Collections to the North Haugh, as well as by relocating library staff offices from Level 1 to Level 2.

“It has meant inconvenience for the staff,” McCubbin mentioned, “but it has also provided staff with better quality accommodation.”

Further redevelopment works are due to continue in summer 2012, when Levels 3 and 4 will be refurbished. Beyond improvements in the central library, the continuation of the project also includes a new future location for Special Collections as well as the construction of a store for library resources.

The recent improvements have been the first significant investment in the library since it opened in the 1970s. “Plans for redevelopment were proposed before, but a firm decision on the final plan was not taken for many years,” McCubbin noted. “The discussion could have gone on for 10 more years,” he added. “We have shopped wisely and put students first, so we are very pleased with what we are delivering,” he concluded.

Returning students seemed impressed with the new layout. “I really like it. It’s very nice, much cleaner and brighter than before,” said Paul Ryder, a fourth year student from St Louis, Missouri.

“The cafe in particular is a great addition. People need food when they’re studying, it’s very prudent,” he added.

Share this article

Tags:

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• Association report backs reform of SRC

Association report backs reform of SRC

A report commissioned by the Students’ Association has supported reform of the Students’ Representative Council (SRC), suggesting that it be enlarged and restructured to give more power to its subcommittees. Reform of the SRC, which acts like a student parliament to debate and pass Association...

Read more →
  • Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Wolf Whistle review

Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Wolf Whistle review

Wolf Whistle Playwright: Joanna Alpern **** Wolf Whistle, written by Joanna Alpern, revolves around three women: Becca (Cate Kelly) a sassy schoolgirl obsessed with her sexuality, Clare (Laura Ferguson) a motherly yet childless bus driver, and Amanda (Coco Claxton), an uptight wannabe medic who devotes...

Read more →
  • How to avoid the St Andrews style cliches

How to avoid the St Andrews style cliches

The “St Andrews style”? Photo: Anna McAlpine Congratulations: you’ve made it into St Andrews! With Freshers’ Week approaching, if you’re anything like I was then you may be wondering what on earth you should be packing to keep you stylish in the tiny coastal town that is St...

Read more →
  • Fairmont St Andrews sold to American property fund

Fairmont St Andrews sold to American property fund

After two months on the market, the Fairmont St Andrews Hotel and Golf Resort has been sold for £32.4 million. Despite experiencing significant losses over recent years, the luxury 209-bed hotel attracted the attention of many international investors, according to previous owners CBRE Hotels. Kennedy...

Read more →
  • Freshers’ Week 2014: STARFIELDS

Freshers’ Week 2014: STARFIELDS

When? Saturday 13 September Where? Lower College Lawn Price? £35 Likely the most anticipated event of Freshers’ Week, St Andrews Charity Fashion Show (aka FS) has announced plans to host its launch party, STARFIELDS, during the first week of term for a second year running. For those unfamiliar...

Read more →