Renovated Library reopens its doors

September 29, 2011 11:00 am 0 comments

After a several million pound summer facelift, the St Andrews University library reopened to students on Monday,  26 September.

The Library Redevelopment project has seen its budget slashed from the initially proposed £47 million to £14 million, resulting in scrapping plans for a significant extension.

“The budget cuts have certainly been a disappointment to all,” noted Ewan McCubbin, the Assistant Director of Library Services. “However, we have still been able to achieve a tremendous amount of what we would have been able to do with the full budget,” he added.

This year, redevelopment works have included the addition of a cafe, furniture and carpet refurbishment, increased number of power outlets and the creation of bookable study spaces. Due to improvements in ventilation, heating and lighting, the building now boasts a more environmentally efficient design.

Some financial resources were dedicated to expanding the library’s book collection and databases, whilst the library’s opening hours have also been expanded.

Such changes responded to demand for a more study-friendly environment, modern equipment and resources, areas which had repeatedly resulted in low ratings in the iGrad survey.

Alongside its new interior design, the redevelopment has resulted in the creation of increased seating spaces. “Despite the limited budget,” McCubbin explained, “we have been able to create the same amount of seating spaces as the original plans included.”

This means an increase from 700 to 1200 spaces, which will be fulfilled after next year’s refurbishments. Extra seating space has been created by moving Special Collections to the North Haugh, as well as by relocating library staff offices from Level 1 to Level 2.

“It has meant inconvenience for the staff,” McCubbin mentioned, “but it has also provided staff with better quality accommodation.”

Further redevelopment works are due to continue in summer 2012, when Levels 3 and 4 will be refurbished. Beyond improvements in the central library, the continuation of the project also includes a new future location for Special Collections as well as the construction of a store for library resources.

The recent improvements have been the first significant investment in the library since it opened in the 1970s. “Plans for redevelopment were proposed before, but a firm decision on the final plan was not taken for many years,” McCubbin noted. “The discussion could have gone on for 10 more years,” he added. “We have shopped wisely and put students first, so we are very pleased with what we are delivering,” he concluded.

Returning students seemed impressed with the new layout. “I really like it. It’s very nice, much cleaner and brighter than before,” said Paul Ryder, a fourth year student from St Louis, Missouri.

“The cafe in particular is a great addition. People need food when they’re studying, it’s very prudent,” he added.

Share this article

Tags:

What do you think?

More from The Saint

• £14,000 raised for Rectors’ Fund

£14,000 raised for Rectors’ Fund

£14,000 has been raised for the Rectors’ fund this year, it has been confirmed. The money for the Rectors’ Fund was raised primarily through one fundraising event – an external club that has donated to the Fund in the past held a dinner and an auction with proceeds going through to the...

Read more →
  • STEPS to choose 2015-16 scholars

STEPS to choose 2015-16 scholars

Photo: The Saint St Andrews Education for Palestinian Students (STEPS) is a local charity that provides financial support to two Palestinian students annually, enabling them to pursue one year of postgradate courses at St Andrews. The University has generously agreed to meet the tuition fees for these...

Read more →
  • A Sunday of ideas worth spreading: TEDx reviewed

A Sunday of ideas worth spreading: TEDx reviewed

Photo: TEDxUniversityofStAndrews Hosted at the Byre theatre, getting to the TEDx talk was a long journey, most certainly on a Sunday morning. There are not many things that can get me out of bed before midday on a Sunday, but here I was at 10:20, ready to be enlightened and excited to hear the speakers...

Read more →
  • Women in Action: The Exhibition

Women in Action: The Exhibition

Photo: Alyssa Chafee This past Monday, The Cottage Kitchen became an art gallery. Two new societies, The Girl Effect and Love 146 joined forces to host ‘Women in Action: The Exhibition,’ their final event of the year, celebrating inspiring women. The focus of Love 146 is to raise awareness for human...

Read more →
  • Leymah Gbowee comes to St Andrews

Leymah Gbowee comes to St Andrews

Gbowee speaking at an event in 2012.Photo: Wikimedia Commons Earlier this month, 2011 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Leymah Gbowee spoke to a rapt audience at the invitation of the St Andrews Africa Summit (SAASUM). Gbowee is a Liberian peace activist, social worker and women’s right activist. She is the...

Read more →