Cross-posted at vegansmarties

April 18, 2011

Where do you get your protein from?

The eternal question. Sigh.
Truth is, most people actually consume more protein than they need to – We really don’t need much of it. The amounts needed for a healthy nutrition can easily be found in a balanced diet without paying too much attention to proteins.The RDA states that we need 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram body weight.
These are good sources of protein: tofu, veggie burgers, soy, beans, lentils, chickpeas, nuts and seeds, brown rice and whole grains.

What’s in a vegan fridge?

The typical list, of course, is anything that doesn’t contain animal products. I would give an account of what’s in my fridge at the moment, but unfortunately that’s a rather sad outlook. So instead I’ll say what it’ll contain after my food shop tonight:

Fresh stuff:

Most of you have probably seen this graphic here that’s been floating around the internet for a while. Pretty disturbing, yes, and not nice. But necessary.
The way I see it is that the main goal is to inflict a shift in our diets and lifestyles. It’s about reducing the harm done to animals and our environment, and it’s ok if that means that a complete ‘vegan’ lifestyle is impossible, that’s fine with me. Any effort helps.

These are questions I have been asked by friends and family during the past couple of weeks, or that I was asking myself at first. Please feel free to post any more in the comments!