The Sundance Kid brings his show to London

0

Actor and director Robert Redford, founder of the prestigious Sundance Film Festival, announced on March 15 that Sundance London will arrive in the UK next spring. The aim of the four day festival – to take place at the O2 Arena from April 26-29 2012 – is to bring the Sundance experience to a UK audience, comprising film screenings, music concerts, discussion groups, and a whole host of other cultural events.

Redford – who set up the non-profit Sundance Institute in 1981 – will be responsible for the film aspect of the festival, whilst AEG, owner and operator of the O2 Arena, will handle the music. Speaking of the partnership at a press conference in London, Redford said “It is our mutual goal to bring to the UK, the very best in current American independent cinema, to introduce the artists responsible for it, and in essence help build a picture of our country that is broadly reflective of the diversity of voices not always seen in our cultural exports.”

The decision to bring the festival to London will certainly provide a bigger stage for independent American cinema, not to mention a significant boost to the UK economy: the ten day event, held annually in Utah, reportedly contributed $70 million to the local economy in this year alone.

Will the UK sequel live up to its American original? Or will the whole thing simply be lost in translation? Unfortunately, you’ll have to wait until next year to find out.

Ross Dickie