Tennis: continued winning ways

0
The Baby-Faced Assasin: David Goffin's began to put Belgium back on the tennis map

The University Tennis Club is having one of its most successful competitive years in recent memory, and nothing epitomises this success more than the performance of the Men’s 2nds and 3rds last Wednesday.

The Men’s 1sts have won the BUCS 2A league, with Strathclyde’s failure to put a team together (almost certainly out of fear of a drubbing) this Wednesday giving the St Andrews team a walkover.

In the matches that did go ahead the 2nds thrashed Glasgow Caledonian 10-2 and the 3rds put in an outstanding shift to snatch a draw from the brink against Robert Gordon 1sts.

For the 2nds, Johnny Gray, Chris Impiglia, Alex Aulakh and Richard Heyes produced fine displays in the convincing win over Glasgow Caledonian. The only points dropped were in the doubles, by which time the match had already been won.

In the 3rds match against Robert Gordon, the points were in the balance as Adam George and Andrew Robson lost out at 1 and 2 to some strong opponents.

Luckily the strength and depth of the squad prevailed with Matt Lambert and Ruarih Gilmour winning their singles matches before James Penn stepped in to take the doubles with Lambert and salvage a draw and some points that will further push the 3rds into a promotion battle along with St Andrews 2nds.

It says a lot for the strength of the Tennis Club’s squads that the St Andrews teams are competing with each other for promotion.

Andrew Morton
Tennis Club Captain