Day 5: A (not-so) Cheesy Matter

0

Cross-posted at vegansmarties

March 14, 2011

Cheese is what I thought I’d miss most this lent. I don’t drink much milk, and I hardly ever buy any eggs, but I do like cheese. So I started looking around for alternatives straight away…

I did some research, and it turns out that vegan cheese is available in all kinds of colours and textures and even quite cheap – but quite a few people claimed the taste was rather unpleasant and simply ‘not the same’.Then, however, I found out about nutritional yeast “cheese”. I read about it in all kinds of other blogs like here, here and here and they all reported tastiness, easy preparation and yummy cheesy texture and feel. I also like the idea of producing the stuff myself.

So, once again, went to Health Foods on Market Street and luckily found this:

The vegan margarine, on the left side, is also a valuable ingredient. I found it in Tesco after scanning all the other one’s ingredients lists: Who knew even plant-based margarine had buttermilk or milk proteins in it? :S

So you will need:
– 2 tbs Vegan margarine
– 3 tbs Flour
– 50 ml Water
– 1 ts Mustard
– 1 ts Salt
– 4 tbs Nutritional yeast flakes
– 100 ml Water

Mix all the stuff together in a pan in the given order after melting margarine first.
Bring it to a quick boil and then you’re done.
Then, it will have the texture of a very thick cheese sauce, so you can do whatever you like with it. I chose to pour it over my potatoes and bake it in the oven for about 5 min.

Aaaand this is the end product:

Very happy with it. Incredibly tasty, the texture is very similar to that of cheese. As you can see in the picture, it melts nicely and even has a little brown crust on it. Yum.

Franziska Schmidt