Hannah Rogers of the Women’s Basketball Club talks The Saint through their season so far, their hopes for the future and what it’s like to be a part of the team.

MARK OF PROGRESS: The Women’s Basketball team have had a solid season so far, winning most of their games and seeing new players develop

For the Women’s Basketball Club, 2010-2011 has been a season where success has been felt much more than failure.

In terms of results, seven wins to two defeats tells its own story. Both losses have come against Robert Gordon 1sts, who lead the BUCS Scottish Conference 2A by six points – and both of those matches were close-run affairs. Otherwise, it’s been a clean sweep, with the team regularly scoring sixty, seventy or even eighty points in their games, as the likes of Aberdeen, Heriot-Watt and Abertay have been swept aside.

The primary goal is promotion to the top tier, which is not yet out of the question, with a game left against Robert Gordon and two scheduled home and away fixtures to Edinburgh, who sit joint second with Saints in the table.

But it’s not all about results. The evidence suggests that the players get on well as team-mates and fellow students; their understanding and trust being crucial in the playing of the game.

After a club training session at the Sports Centre, The Saint spoke to Hannah Rogers who – if her virtuoso performance in the team’s 80-45 win over Abertay last month is anything to go by – is becoming a vital player for the club.

She felt the season had gone very well so far, with the team winning most of their games and lying third in the BUCS division, with hopes of winning the league and subsequent promotion still alive.

The last match, a 62-14 hammering of Glasgow Caledonian on their own patch, was achieved with just five players, who put in a solid team performance.

Overall, the club has seen an inflow of new players, and Rogers recognises that now they are starting to find each other more and enjoy their games.
She has high hopes for the team advancing next year, as long as more new players come in to replace those graduating at the end of this semester and they show “commitment and the desire to win”.

For the coach, it had been a challenging first year, but Rogers notes his eye for the game, his pushing on of the team members and the general improvement over the season.

As for her own experience of the club, Rogers says it had been “really fun coming in – they’re a really friendly team, very welcoming, open to all different skill levels.” Both on and off the court, she acknowledges that the captain and president had done an excellent job of bringing all the new players in and making them feel welcome.

As for why students should want to join, she has plenty of reasons: “a fun group of people, we’re committed, hard-working, we love playing basketball… and there’s all the possibilities to make everyone who comes here a better basketball player, and develop really good friendships”.