RAG Week Success

0
Photo Credit: Celeste Sloman
Students recently welcomed the return of raising and giving (RAG) Week, with a range of different events running from 11 to the 19 February.

Events included a Ceilidh, Music is Love, the Mr St Andrews contest, a comedy night with The Unexpected Items, the St Andrews Got Talent show, the Catwalk fashion show and three themed Bops- Tribal, Toga and Disney.

In addition, Bingo night, An Evening of Dance, a student version of Come Dine With Me and the Library’s agreement to donate all library fines paid on 17 February helped to raise even money for the six nominated charities chosen by the University’s Charities Campaign. This year’s charities are Medecins Sans Frontieres, Trekstock, Childrens’ Hospice Association Scotland (CHAS), Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI), Build Africa and Maggie’s Cancer Caring Centres.

The events were organised and run by the Charities Campaign with the help of over 100 dedicated student volunteers. One volunteer, Eleanor Newman, explained her reasons for choosing to sign up, “I am volunteering for RAG week because I think that it is a valuable use of my time, raising money for some amazing charities, meeting new people and having fun doing it.”

Rag Week Coordinator Peter Gowler believes the week to have been a huge success. Speaking at the Disney Bop, he said “This week’s been amazing so far, it’s great to see the Union so packed with a real buzz about it every night. Tribal Bop sold out really quickly and we’re hoping to sell out tonight too. We’d like to thank everyone who’s been involved and our sponsors, KPMG, for their support.”

Kerry Nesbitt