Race2Munich competitors finish in record time

0
Photo Credit: Race2 Group
Students of the University of St Andrews hit the roads again in the inter-semester break to take part in the annual ‘Race2’ event hosted by the University Charities Campaign.

Race2Munich was held between January 24 and 27, beginning in the early hours of Monday morning as teams were driven to various drop-off points between Edinburgh and Glasgow. 48 teams made up of two or three students, totalling 112 racers overall, made it to Munich this year.

Crossing the finish line first were third year students Cormac Friel and Colleen Wilson of team Mein Handy who, with the help of their eye-catching Spiderman and Spiderwoman outfits, made it from Stirling to the Meininger Hostel in Munich in just 28 hours and 30 minutes, beating the Berlin record of 30 hours.

The pair, who have returned the iPods they won to the Charities Campaign for raffle or auction, were pleased to find they had come in first and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Cormac said, “We couldn’t believe our luck and how nice the people who helped us along the way were, and how much fun we had. We think everything just went well for us on the day (aside from the 6 hours it took to escape Scotland) and we stumbled upon very helpful people, who helped us get there quickly.”

Friel added, “Colleen and I would also like to expressly thank Laurence and Kati, the eventual runners up who co-operated with us for a large portion of the race and who we couldn’t have won without. Having suspected we were just somewhere in the top 10, it felt great to hear that we had come in first, being very warmly welcomed by the safety team. Most of all, neither of us quite understand how we did it without spending any money or trying to kill each other along the way!”

The last team to arrive reached the Meininger Hostel after 87 hours and 30 minutes as the rest of the teams were already enjoying the end of race party hosted by the Race2 committee.

The Race2 committee, who worked hard to organise the event, were all pleased with how the race went.

Emma Edwards, Marketing Officer on the committee, said, “The racers all did really well, with record times being set, and everyone has been very positive about the experience. There were also some weird forms of transport taken, including a limo!”

Edwards added that the committee “also held a very successful Mr Race2 contest at the party and we are all keenly backing him in the upcoming Mr St Andrews event which is on Monday 14 Feb as part of RAG Week.”

Although a figure for the amount of sponsorship money raised has not yet been confirmed, preliminary rough counts as The Saint went to press put the collection at £11, 729.

Hannah Rowand