They’re just too good to be true…

0

By Emma O’Brien

Photo Supplied

Sometimes you see a West End musical and find yourself merely enjoying the two or so hours of care free enjoyment. Jersey Boys is so much more than carefree entertainment…it is a spectacle of grandeur, the new heavyweight of the West End’s ‘biopic’ trend.

The show charts the rise and fall (and rise again) of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, who dominated the charts all across the world back in the day. What is different about these four boys from Jersey is that they were far from saintly. In and out of prison, divorces, gambling and bankruptcy are just a few of the sins that make this show about so much more than great music. The audience see what it’s like to have power and abuse it, and the lessons that need to be learnt to right all wrongs.

Of course, no review of this musical could be written without commending the quality of the music. But that praise should really be reserved for the original Four Season’s. Their songs, such as ‘Walk like A Man’, ‘Big Girls Don’t Cry’ and ‘Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You’, are still as popular and generally rocking as they were forty years ago.

The entire cast of this production were spot on, the set was simple yet effective, and I defy anyone to sit through this and not come out wanting to see it again immediately.

So forget those ghastly tango-orange creatures from MTV’s Jersey Shore. These four ‘Jersey’ boys actually have what it takes to make an audience smile.