Andrew Morton

Photo: Supplied

The newly formed St Andrews Men’s Thirds Tennis Team crushed Strathclydes Men’s Second Team in their first match of the season, playing both aggressive and confident tennis throughout.

St Andrews fielded a mixture of experience and youth with freshers Andrew Robson and Thomas Schlee guided by the experienced heads of Alasdair Bradley and Andrew Morton.

Both doubles matches were won without the loss of a set, Bradley and Schlee battling back in the second set to win 6-3, 6-4, Morton and Robson taking their match comfortably 6-1, 6-3. The singles was a similar display of dominant tennis from the St Andrews team, Bradley leading from the front with a 6-3 6-2 win at 1st seed.

The freshers proved their credentials, at 2nd and 3rd seeds, Schlee winning 6-2, 6-1 and Robson 6-1, 6-2. Morton made sure of a St Andrews whitewash by winning his match at 4th seed 6-2, 6-0.

From the minute the matches started it was clear that the work put in during pre-season, circuit training and strength and conditioning was going to make the difference with the St Andrews team showing a strong mixture of pace, power and precision in dispatching their opponents. A strong start to what should be a successful season for Tennis in St Andrews.