By Emily Hill

Halloween is approaching. The gaudy pumpkin and cheeky ghost decorations dangling from every shop window remind us of the fun to come. But what is missing amongst these jolly monsters and decorations is the spookiness that ought to come with Halloween. But never fear (or maybe do), for someone has filled the void – combined fun and fright and brought you a chilling comedy to put some horror back into Halloween weekend.

From the 29th to the 31st of October at 8pm in the Barron Theatre Patch of Blue Theatre present  Mr Kolpert, by David Geissellman. Patch of Blue have been a favourite of mine since I saw them at the Fringe with Anne Frank and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, so I was keen to get an insider’s perspective on their next  show.

Mr Kolpert is a brutal black comedy, fresh from the prestigious Royal Court, well known for staging exciting new theatre productions, such as the fantastic fresher’s week play Love Song. Mr Kolpert begins with Ralf and Sarah being a bit bored and so deciding to invite over some friends for drinks and pizza.

To spice things up Ralf pretends there’s a dead body in their trunk – the dead body of one of their colleagues at work. As the evening unfolds the guests begin to wonder whether maybe Ralf is not pretending after all…

Set in the intimate Barron theatre with a cast of only five the performance is sure to send a chill down your spine while you laugh out loud, even though you feel like you shouldn’t be laughing.  Having watched some rehearsals I can promise that great things should be expected of this cast, perfectly selected by director Alex Howarth and Producer Caroline McCafferey.

Caroline said ‘I’m so proud of the amazing dedication and enthusiasm of the cast. They’ve turned around a psychologically and dramatically complex show in just  three weeks’ and I can vouch for the quality of their hard-work.

Let’s not let it go to waste! Patch of Blue are bringing you a hilarious horror story straight from the stage of the UK’s most innovative theatre, incredibly cast and timed to make Halloween a night to remember. Tickets can be bought online at www.barrontheatre.co.uk and are already selling fast. Beware though, this is not a show for the faint-hearted and whatever you do, do not look in the trunk!