By Tori Sarant

Photo credit: Celeste Sloman

Freshers’ week 2010 has proved to be another event-filled beginning to the new academic term, providing new students with a plethora of activities to entertain and introduce them to life in St Andrews.

The Freshers’ week event line-up had events catering to all students, which included several of the infamous ‘Bop’ and multiple ‘give-it-a go’ sports gatherings and club fayres.  The schedule has been full and varied, including events such as The Tribal Bop and the CelticSoc Ceilidh to the Whitelight UV and the Mermaid’s current production, Love Song. More traditional academic events, such as the Academic Fayre, library tours and lectures on the university marking scale and the use of WebCT also took place.

Highlights at the Students’ Association included Dave Benson Phillips from the 90’s gunge-filled gameshow, Get Your Own Back, providing students with an evening of nostalgic entertainment as well as the Whitelight UV party featuring lasers, balloons and fluorescent paint.

The Maybe Gaga act was another popular attraction at the Students’ Association with many St Andreans attending clad in their best Lady Gaga costumes. Jack Wills vouchers were award to the the best dressed Gaga.  The Students’ Association Director of Events and Services, Phil Pass, was enthusiastic about the success of the week, which he maintained was “ a testament to all the people who have come out and partied.”

In addition, societies including Inklight, ComedySoc and Project Anime held events to gather new members and reacquaint old ones. This ensured that there was no shortage of activity each night in St Andrews’ pubs and bars. The annual Sports Fayre and Societies Fayre took place over the weekend, attracting many new and old students. There were several new societies debuting at the Freshers’ Fayre, including SciFa, a society for all enthusiasts of science fiction and fantasy and the Northern Society.  Old and interesting favourites, such as the Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Appreciation society were also present.

Many students agree that this year’s events have topped previous years. “The events that were on were better than our first year,”  said third year student Guy Wilkinson. “The events presented this week have been more varied and interesting than those in the past,” said another student.